If there’s one thing I love about January 1st rolling around, its that feeling of a fresh start in a new year. I do realize its just another day on the calendar, but flipping into a new year always seems like a great time to reevaluate where I’m at and where I want to be.
I’m no stranger to making goals each year; and sometimes I’m actually successful in meeting them. However after looking over last year’s blog post on goals for the new year, I realized two things:
1. I failed miserably at meeting my goals.
2. While part of it is my lack of effort, the bigger part was the actual goals themselves.
For some reason I recently ended up looking up the S.M.A.R.T. acronym for goal setting. (I couldn’t remember all words for it!) Here it is if you are unfamiliar with it. The S.M.A.R.T. method is a way to set achievable goals (I found 2 words for both A & R online, but both are good):
So I decided to go forward this year with more specific goals that had a real plan of action. For example, last year I simply put: Run 5 miles. Sure this is a great goal, but you know what? Despite training for races, and trying to get out there, I never reached it (I did do 4.5!). A more specific goal would have set a time frame, as well as had a better laid out plan of HOW I would get there.
A non-fitness goal I had last year was to Start/finish the kids’ digital scrapbooks. Do you want to know how far i got on these? Ummm…NOWHERE! I had no plan of action, breaking down steps of what I’d do in a time-frame. And the goal was way to broad. There was really no way I’d finish that many years of digital scrapbooking in a year unless I stopped doing everything else that I do in my spare time. (Ha…spare time…I’m so funny. )
So here are my (S.M.A.R.T.) goals for 2014 including my basic plan of action for them. I won’t bore you with the whole plan, but it gives you an idea on how to break your goals down:
- Run a Half Marathon in spring
This one is already “in progress” but I have many weeks to go!
- Set up a training plan and follow it. Get support from runner friends to keep accountable.
- Do ONE Unassisted Chin Up
This is a big goal of mine. Its something I’ve wanted to do for so long but is taking slow but steady training so I make sure I don’t re-injure my shoulder at all.
- Use the assisted pull up machine at the gym 3 times/week, 2 sets of 10 reps until that is easy, then decrease the weight assist until I’m down to nothing!
- Do 15 Full Pushups (or more!)
I feel sad that I can’t do this yet, but again its a shoulder thing.
- Find a 3 day/week pushup program I can follow to work into my other workout schedule.
- Get a New 5K Race PR
- Half training should help with this, but once I finish that, I will do the Run Less, Run Faster book plan of 5K training for an upcoming 5K race – making sure I get all the workouts in!
- Finish a Digital Scrapbook for 2 yrs for Each Child
- Steps: Organize and Select photos to include for the years. Choose which vendor I’m going to use to print them. Spend 1 hour per week working on them.
- Finish the Leaf Scarf by Fall
Ummm…this project I think is going on FOUR years. I have finished so many projects in between.
- Work on this scarf for 30 min at least once/week.
- Complete my Living Room Remodel by mid-summer
This project has been on my mind for a really long time and I just haven’t been dedicated with nailing down decisions and saving the $ to do it.
- Finalize decisions on colors for the curtains & couches. Decide on a final entertainment system. Save money regularly in a special fund for this.
I know there must be more things out there, but these are my first big ones that come to mind. I will plan to keep better tabs on this list throughout the year. I’m thinking I will plan a 1st of the month check in with where my goals are at.
I plan to print out my list and keep it where I can see it. I also know I rely a lot on accountability from friends & family to ask me where I’m at. That’s one of the main things that has kept me so on track with my half marathon training so far. I have a few runner friends constantly asking me about how its going!
What are you goals as you enter the new year? What will keep you motivated to achieve them? Find some people to keep you accountable. Its more fun to work through your goals with a friend by your side anyway!
image source: 2014 123rf.com
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.