This recipe is a favorite of mine and one I come back to over and over.Serve it over your favorite pasta or pasta alternative. I like mine over spaghetti squash. My husband & kids prefer gluten free rice spaghetti noodles. I’m sure it would also be amazing over Asian rice noodles or zucchini noodles as well! Try one, try them all! I’m betting you’ll want to make this one again, so you can try a new noodle each time.
- 1 T cooking fat tallow, bacon fat, ghee, butter...
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled & diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 oz bacon chopped
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 c chicken broth/stock
- 1 c whole milk use canned coconut milk for dairy free
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 T dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1.5 tsp sea salt* SEE NOTES
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- Melt oil in a Dutch oven or stock pot on medium heat. Add the onions and saute for about 5 min or until the begin to soften and turn translucent. Add the carrots, celery, and garlic and continue to cook for an additional 5 min. Add in the chopped bacon and ground beef. Continue to cook, breaking up the beef as it browns, until the beef is no longer pink.
- If you used a higher fat ground beef, you may need to spoon out some of the extra fat at this point. I used a lean ground beef and it wasn't necessary.
- Stir in the chicken stock, milk, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 35 min, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over your favorite pasta or pasta equivalent.
Start with 1 tsp of salt and add the rest (or more) if desired. The amount of salt will vary based on the saltiness of your bacon.